Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thank you aunty

Just a small incident in the train to Delhi. Wouldn't count for much in the larger scheme of things, but I think it deserves a mention. There was a lady in the seat next to me, just my mom's age I guess. Her son who came to drop her off at the station was just a few years younger to me. She spoke very little, all throughout the journey. Just spent her time looking out the window, or sleeping. We smiled at each other a couple of times, but that was the only real communication between us.

When night came, the compartment started to get a little cold. I was a little uncomfortable, although not enough to complain. The unknown lady, without a word, draped half of her shawl over me! Maternal instinct? Neighborly love? Trying to explain it will probably dilute the beauty of the incident, so I'll leave it at that.

In the morning, we had a small conversation introducing ourselves and talking about our lives. When it was time for her to get off at Mathura, I helped her with her suitcase and she left. No goodbyes, nothing.

Though it might never get to her, this post is my "thank you". The one I left unsaid ...


No comments: